Friday, January 14, 2011

A dream come true

Baxter Veterinary Clinic - how sweet it is to say that name!  I have dreamed of being a veterinarian and having my own clinic my whole life.  Like many little girls, I was animal crazy - saving every turtle that was hit by a car on the side of the road and rescuing every stray kitten that wandered onto our property.  When I was 8 years old, I began to incessantly beg my parents for a horse.  I didn't get a horse, but what I did get was an after school job mucking stalls.  What started with stall cleaning, eventually led to 4-H Horse and Pony club and triggered the chain of events that has led up to this moment.  My inspiration growing up was a woman who merged a successful small animal veterinary business, with a family life and plenty of hobbies - including her horses.  I remember volunteering at West End Veterinary Clinic when I was 14 years old.  I spent my summers at the clinic bathing animals, babysitting the owners twins, learning to develop x-rays in the bathroom... thank goodness for digital radiography these days!

Planning the new clinic is exciting and at times a little stressful.  There are a lot of little things to keep track of, but in the end I know things will turn out just the way we envision.  Every little bump in the road is just one more step to making the end result that much better!  Just hang on and enjoy the ride...

Our website is officially up and running today - check it out at www.baxtervet.com

3 comments:

  1. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Your longtime dream is becoming a reality with the opening of Baxter Veterinary Clinic. I couldn't be more proud of you, daughter. You are a wonderful strong woman who balances marriage and motherhood with your very demanding profession. Your competency in veterinary medicine reflects your strong background in academia and training and your work ethic. The Carolinas are very fortunate to have such a compassionate caring person who can calmly communicate diagnoses and recommendations to the families and their pets. We sure miss you in KY and IN but know your future is bright. You've come a long way, Kelly "baby". love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kelly! How, very exciting. Congratulations on your new practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just the vet service to take care of people's loved ones! Your dedication to animals is a lifelong service that will benefit so many! I would trust any of my four fellas with you, from the little chocolate, wire-haired doxie with two calcified discs, to the gray haired, snaggle toothed Chihuahua, to the shining and chivalrous red border collie, and lastly the feral calico that has graced this home. Congratulations on fulfilling your dream! You deserve it and more! I hope the people in the Carolinas know how fortunate they are to have you there!!!

    ReplyDelete